Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Cool news

When I first started researching international adoption, Ukraine really seemed to speak to me. A few weeks ago, there was talk about a bill coming up in Ukraine's parliament that would stop international adoption. It never happened, but there still seems to be talk that it might. If it doesn't, Honey and I are probably going to adopt from there. The only issue we had with adopting from Ukraine is Honey's age. A law was passed last year stating that adoptive parents could be no more than 45 years older than the child. That would mean that if we started the adoption process right after we married, by the time we got to go, the youngest child we could adopt would be 6. We want to adopt a sibling group (hopefully 3...I think I have him convinced) and I was hoping to have at least one little-ish one. Not that 6 years old is old...hard to explain I guess. Anyway, on to the good news.

I was on the embassy website the other day...not sure why. I read a provision I had not seen before. It listed the age requirements, but then said if only one of the parents is within the age limit, the adoption can be done in that one parent's name only. So, as long as there is a sibling group available with a younger child...we can adopt them in my name only. We would then readopt once we got back to the States. I thought it was amazing news. I guess I have to remember though that the kids that God wants us to have will be the kids that He gives us. If that means younger than 6, then it will be younger than 6. If not...well, I have to trust that He is in control and knows what is best for us....all of us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment