Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans...oh my

Having a garden is wonderful! Everything ripening at once is a little overwhelming! But getting everything processed, canned, frozen...ready to be eaten during the winter is so fulfilling! I have probably 35 pints of pickles in the basement. Thanks to a wonderful blog/adoption friend, I have an amazing recipe for tomato soup and pizza sauce. So there are many pints of that right next to the pickles. I have so much zucchini puree, shredded zucchini and chopped zucchini in my freezer. I even have pickled some zucchini. I have soup fixings frozen together (squash, zucchini, green beans) so vegetable soup will be yummy on those cold New England winter nights. I am making tomato sauce today and will probably end up canning 6 or 7 pints of that. Gotta love "free" food. I know it's not really free especially when I count the cost of new canning jars, but knowing we will have enough pickles, pasta sauce, salsa, tomato soup and pizza sauce (probably for the year) is wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Num-o! Sounds like a wonderful stash to me! I'll be enjoying a *very* similar stash o' canned goods this winter also! ;o) So fun and fulfilling, this business of gardening and canning!

    Praying daily for you and your little guy, and all the last minute details. If anyone is ready, though, it is YOU! Let's get you on a plane already! lol!

    ~Shelly F.

    ReplyDelete