Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

I've heard it said...

One of my favorite sayings is, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

I am a make-shift cook. I can't tell you how many times I have wanted something (at least when I lived alone) and I somehow used what I had in the house to make something at least close. Where am I going with this? Today was a taco kind of day. I went to the grocery store armed with the "knowledge" that I had everything I needed for tacos except for tortillas. I got home and went to the cupboard to get the packet of taco seasoning. (I bought a ton of taco seasoning quite some time ago...it was cheap something like 26 cents each and I love tacos so I went nuts) Well, long story short...there was no taco seasoning. :( So, I went on a search of the internet. I figured there must be a recipe out there somewhere that would enable me to make tacos without going to the store. I found one!!! :) Let me say, it was AMAZING!!! I will probably never buy a packet of taco seasoning again. The flavors were there without being overpowering. It wasn't nearly as salty as the store bought stuff. Now, I just need to find a recipe that can substitute for Hamburger Helper cheeseburger mac. :) Here ya go! Try it yourself...I'm pretty sure you will be a convert too!

The original recipe called for 2 tsps onion powder. I used 1 tsp onion powder and 1 tsp dehydrated chopped onion. I loved it my way....but I'm sure it's good either way. :) Also, instead of adding the water that the packet always calls for, I chopped one of the tomatoes from our garden up in the food processor until it was liquefied and added enough water to make it 3/4 cup. It added SOOO much flavor!

1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp each
*onion powder
*dehydrated chopped onion
*cumin
*garlic powder
*paprika
*oregano
*sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Makes 3 tablespoons of seasoning mix, which is equal in strength to a 1/4 ounce package of commercial seasoning mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment