Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Success!!

When we first found out that Vladan was not potty trained, I was a little worried. Why on earth would a 6 (almost 6 1/2) year old boy still be in diapers? We were told it was because he "didn't like the potty." Um, ok. I was a little nervous that there might be some medical reason why he couldn't be trained. I truly didn't want to be changing diapers indefinitely.

When we first came home, I decided to wait a bit to try potty training. There were a gazillion other things he would have to get used to and bad habits to unlearn first. Well, for some reason, I decided today was the day to start trying. This afternoon, I took his pull-up off and put big boy underwear on him. We went to the bathroom every 10 minutes or so and I had him try. He knows what is supposed to happen...he just didn't seem to know how to make it happen. Well about 45 minutes after we first put the underwear on, he wet himself. Let me tell you this, he HATED that feeling! Since I don't have 20 pairs of underwear for him (yet) I let him "go commando." We still went to the potty every 10 minutes or so. Then one time, I just told him to go pee and he went in by himself. Of course, this was the time I heard a little tinkle in the potty!!! Success! I went in and clapped and praised and he thought this was hilarious! About 1/2 hour later, we had another success. It was probably an hour later, he pointed to the bathroom. When I asked if he needed to potty, he shook his head and went in. HE WENT AGAIN and this was the first time he went because he felt that he needed to go. He had another bathroom success, but I won't tell you about that. Because that would be just too much! LOL!

Isn't he gonna kill me when he gets older and finds out that I blogged about his potty successes! :)

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome Missy! Good for you for following your mommy instincts that knew he was capable! Three cheers for BOTH of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful!!!! He's clearly more than ready to be fully trained. Good for him! He's going to master this quickly...YAY!

    ReplyDelete