Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Do people think??

Today I worked while Papa stayed home with Vladan. Being the sweet man that he is, he brought me lunch. While he and Vladan were hanging out in the pharmacy, I waited on a lady. She asked Vladan if Santa brought him everything he wanted. He responded typically by repeating her question...although most can't really understand what he says. I explained that we just adopted him from Serbia and he is still working on English. We talked for a few more minutes about his age, if he lived in an orphanage...stuff like that. (It's amazing how many personal questions people feel it is their right to ask...but that's a different post) Anyway, while we were talking, another lady walked up and just listened. As the first lady was turning to leave she said, "You are going to Heaven." I responded, "I'm not going to Heaven for adopting." Then, wait for it.......The other lady said, "No, not for adopting one of those kids." I was shocked. I literally stood there with my jaw about an inch from the floor. I think she then realized that she actually said that out loud. She just turned and waved, "Bye, folks." I wanted to jump the counter and pound her. I am not a violent person, but she just insulted my child. And the whole time, he was quietly sitting on a chair playing with a calculator. What on earth did he do to her to deserve such disgust? It's probably a good thing that I was the one working. Otherwise, I might have followed her out of the pharmacy and asked her what her problem was with my son. GRRRRR!!!!! Some people really tick me off!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a bad welcome to the world of disabilities, then add the fact you CHOSE one of "those kids"! Grrrr People make me want to scream sometimes. I have had some awful comments over the years about Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's horrible. that makes me angry just reading about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're anticipating those comments, too and trying to prepare some comebacks. Haven't thought of anything great yet, but I understand your mama bear coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible. Why did she even bother to ask you anything if she was going to say that? What's wrong with that people?

    ReplyDelete