Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Too cute

Before I tell you the cute part of the story, let me give you a little background. When I was a little girl, I always slept with something silk. It probably started as a baby with a blanket that had a satin border....but as I got older, anything satiny would suffice. It was usually Mama's old slip or nightgown. Even as a teenager, when I would go to a friend's house for the night, I would bring my own pillow so I could put my *silky* in the pillowcase to be pulled out once everyone else was asleep. I just loved the feel of satin between my cheek and my pillow. I don't think anyone ever knew.

When I went to college, I decided I was too old to sleep with a silky anymore. But not long after I was there, I woke up one night from a bad dream. The only way I could get back to sleep was to pull out a slip from my dresser and sleep with that between my cheek and my pillow. Since I tell my mom pretty much everything, I told her about this embarrassing situation. She is the most amazing Mama and within a week of my telling her, I received a package from home. Inside was a satin pillowcase....pretty smart, huh? :) I slept with that pillowcase for years but somehow it got lost (probably during a move) a few years ago.

When Honey and I were living in the mountains, the house we rented had very flimsy blinds in the bedroom. I wake up pretty quickly when light comes in the room, so I had to figure out something. One morning (after the sun came pouring into our window at about 5am), I had had enough. I went to my dresser and pulled out the only black piece of clothing I owned....a slip. I put it over my eyes and ahhhhhh, darkness! But strangely, I fell right back into the habit of sleeping with a silky like I had never stopped....all night long, not just during the morning to block out the light. UGH! But the more I thought about it, why should I care? Yes, I am an adult and I shouldn't *need* a security blanket, but it is still very comforting and Honey doesn't mind. So, my silky is always there. Now to the cute part. :)

The other afternoon, Vlado was being quite the grump. So, I decided we needed a little nap. He very seldom actually takes a nap in the afternoon, but this day he REALLY needed one. So he didn't feel like he was being punished, I went with him and we slept in Mama and Papa's bed. At first, he was restless...tossing and turning and making sounds. For some reason, I put my silky on his chest. He immediately balled it up and rolled over on his side. The silky went between his cheek and the pillow and he was sleeping within 5 minutes. I had big tears in my eyes.....he's just like his Mama. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment