Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

I'm not good at this

I have never been good at asking for help. I have always been an, "I can do it myself" type of girl. (I probably drove my mom nuts when I was a kid!) But with this adoption, I do need a little help! Adoption isn't cheap...and unlike birthing a child, there isn't insurance to pick up any of the cost.

A few years ago, (on another blog), I wrote the following.

What would you do? I ask again, what would you do?? What would you do if you knew your child had been taken and put in a place where he/she didn't have much food, had to share clothes with many other children, didn't have toys, didn't have anyone to cuddle him/her, etc.? You found out that to get your child back, you had to somehow come up with $25,000. And all this is legal. What would you do?

I'm sure most (if not all) of the parents out there would respond that they would do anything to get them back. Would you pick up cans and bottles on the side of the road to get the pennies they are worth? Would you make crafts and try to sell them at craft fairs? Would you ask your family and friends to donate money? Would you apply for any grant you could find for that little extra money? Would you have a lawn sale and sell anything you could think of? For me and Honey the resounding answer is YES!!!

The only difference is that we haven't met our child yet. The fact that she does not have our genes does not make her any less our daughter. We know she is there and we are here. There are 2 trips required to her country which adds more airfare. Also, her country is a Hague country (we are not complaining about this...it is a good thing), but there are many more requirements that again cost more money. This adoption is going to cost about 10k more than our adoption of Vlado. I am going to be crafting like a mad woman over the next few months and pray that my stuff sells this fall. If you have any ideas of good fundraisers we can do....we are all ears!

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Reece’s Rainbow!

    I have recently started serving Reece’s Rainbow as the Post-Adoption Care Coordinator. Some adopted children slide right into the family but most will have some struggles and some may have a very hard time. My role is to help keep families connected after they come home and to provide support and a listening ear as well as access to helpful resources. You are not alone!

    If you are not already involved in the After the Rainbow yahoo group then please join us. It’s a great place to give and receive information and support! Also, if I can help you personally in any way, please feel free to contact me. My email address is Rachel@reecesrainbow.org

    Blessings ,
    Rachel Whitmire
    Post-Adoption Care Coordinator
    Reece’s Rainbow Down Syndrome Adoption Ministry
    www.reecesrainbow.org

    ReplyDelete