Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sometimes I forget

Sometimes it is really easy to forget how emotionally fragile our kids are...especially the ones who have had it really tough. Last night was one of those nights that I am reminded big time! Our power went out last night around 11pm because of a storm. At about 11:30, I decided to just go to bed. I checked in on Vlado like I do every night and found him on his knees on the bed rocking back and forth. I called his name and he didn't respond...he just kept rocking. I went over and put my hand on his back. I had to literally pull him into my lap to get the rocking to stop. I held him like a baby for a few minutes and told him it was ok. He laid down and I laid beside him and I could see his eyes were as wide as saucers. He looked absolutely terrified. I decided to bring him into our room to see if he would calm down. He was very confused and just kept looking around. I asked him if he wanted to go back to his bed and he got up and raced back to his room. Ten minutes later, he was crying. I went back in and he was up sitting on his pillow staring at the corner muttering. The only thing I understood was, "clean up." He would shake his head and whimper. I HAD to get him out of his room because it was something in there that was freaking him out. When I took him back to our bed, he was better. He somewhat rested for about an hour but he was still sweating (he sweats so much when he is nervous or anxious). I felt pretty powerless. By this time (around 1am), the power had come back on. I took him back to his bed and turned on his fish night light. It is so bright that it lights the whole room....but it was enough for him to relax and we didn't hear anything else from him. I wish I knew why he was scared but he doesn't have enough communication skills to tell me. And I wish I would have been enough to soothe him when he was scared. He has been through so much.....maybe it's good I don't know everything, but I wish I knew how to help. :(

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this post just breaks my heart. It is so hard sometimes when our children are scared. Luckily Vlado has a loving family now that will always be there for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you missed something huge my darling girl...you DID HELP! you were there you pulled him into your lap, you carried him to your bed, you comforted him, you love him, you held him. The fears came but you did help, this is the first post of yours i have read and you all already have my heart xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog a few weeks ago and leaving comment. I took a few moments to "meet" your sweet by and was so encouraged to read about how well he has done in school. Peter sounds very similar to your little man and I wonder what I will be typing when he is home 6 mos. I look forward to checking in here and there to see how Vlado is doing! blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane is right. You were there...that is THE MOST important thing. ;) It takes awhile to work through the traumas our kids faced. I still have no idea about many of Maddie's...mostly because of the lingering language barrier, but she is doing much better. Someday he'll either be able to verbalize more about them or put them behind him. Either way...you're there for him now. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete