Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Communication is a beautiful thing

Today, while at the grocery store, I picked up a box of ice cream cones (the dry ones, not the ones with ice cream in them already). When we got home, I put the groceries away but left the box of cones on the counter. Vlado is known to obsess. Today, his obsession revolved around that box of ice cream cones. He kept picking up the box and bringing it to me. I finally told him to just put it on the counter and "leave it." (Leave it is the catch phrase we use when we are trying to break an obsession and more often than not, it works.) He went into the kitchen and a couple minutes later, he was back at his table working on a puzzle.

Fast forward to tonight. I decided that an ice cream cone would be tasty. (Vlado had gone to bed a little while earlier) I went to the kitchen and started looking for the box of cones. I looked on the counter, on the table, in the pantry....the box was not there. I started opening cupboards that would be at his level and still nothing. I was beginning to think that he hid them from me because he was angry that he didn't get ice cream this afternoon.

A little while later, I could hear Vlado coughing up in his room. He has been out of school for 2 days due to this cough/cold that has its grips on him. So, I went up to give him a little cough medicine. He was half asleep but after I gave him the medicine, I asked him where the ice cream cones were. He blinked at me then said, "Ice cream cups freezer." Then he laid back down. When I came downstairs, I looked in the freezer and there they were. I guess in his brain, since ice cream goes in the freezer, so should the cones. Maybe that is why he kept bringing them to me.....kind of saying, "What is wrong with you...these need to be put away!" I know it is goofy, but I thought it was the coolest thing that I could ask him a question and he was able to tell me exactly what I wanted to know. :) And isn't it the cutest that he calls them ice cream cups?

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to start calling them ice-cream cups now. And yes, very cool! I can't wait for the day either of my boys can start answering questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! I love when they can start communicating like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's awesome!! It's amazing to see how little minds work! Good job Vlado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is SO cute! and I am moving to NH or VT this summer, so we NEED to meet up. Need a baby sitter?

    ReplyDelete