Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Homemade granola = YUMMY!

A few days ago, I was informed (by my loving Hubby) that we needed to start clearing out our pantry. It is, um, just a tad stuffed! One thing that I have a lot of is bags of kettle corn. I got it REALLY cheap and have used it in Vlado's lunch. But the little bit that I give him everyday doesn't seem to use it up. So, I searched the internet for a snack bar using popped corn. The one I found that looked the yummiest was a popcorn/granola bar. I don't usually buy granola....it seems to be the most expensive cereals. So, again I searched - this time for a recipe to make homemade granola. Of course, I tweaked the recipe just a little to use ingredients I had on hand. This is the final recipe.

Homemade granola

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup chopped almonds (or any nuts you have)
1/2 cup applesauce (I used no sugar added applesauce)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs vanilla
1 Tbs oil
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
(optional - the original recipe called for 1/2 cup coconut, but I didn't have any. I think it would taste awesome though!)

Mix the oats, sunflower seeds and nuts well in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix applesauce, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, oil and cinnamon. Drizzle the wet ingredients over the dry and then stir until mixed completely. (The original recipe said to use your hands but a spoon worked well for me.) Spread the mixture out on a cookie sheet and bake for 1.5 hours at 250 degrees. Mix the granola every 20 minutes or so to get an even toasting. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Mix in the raisins. Store in an airtight container (I used a gallon sized zipper bag)

I plan to make the popcorn/granola bars tomorrow. If they are as good as I think they might be, I will post that recipe. I LOVE being able to search the internet for silly ideas (who would think of popcorn/granola bars?) and actually being able to find something! :)

1 comment: