Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

I can't believe I didn't post

Let me start off by saying I'm sorry for not posting yesterday.  It was the most wonderful day and I was so excited about it....I have no clue how I didn't tell you all about it.

Last Wednesday, when we had our appointment at the Ministry of Adoption, we made sort of a passing request.  We  had thought about it quite a bit, but weren't sure it would be possible.  We asked if we could somehow arrange to go back to Vlado's birth city and meet with his former social worker and psychologist.  They knew Vlado back then and had seen him with us.  We truly wanted them to see how far he has come.  When we asked, we were assured that it would be no problem and they would contact the center in his city to set it up for us.  Then he asked, "Do you want us to find out if the former foster mother would like to see you?"  I think my jaw dropped to the floor.  This was more than we had even hoped for. We said that would be wonderful and so the ministry, after we requested the date, set up our reunion.

I was a little nervous.  I knew that Vlado would impress as usual. :)  But I guess I was afraid he might remember and be stressed, or the meeting might not accomplish what we hoped for.  We wanted the people to see how amazing Vlado is and to maybe think twice about limiting a child's ability based on perceived disability.  I should not have worried!

I think everyone who works at the center was there...including the gentleman that drove the center workers around last time. (He was hilarious, by the way!) Vlado's former social worker, when we were here last, was a stern lady.  She was so serious, but looking back, I guess she was just trying to make sure that we understood what we were getting ourselves into. LOL!  But yesterday, she had a smile a mile wide and couldn't stop gaping at Vlado and cradling his face in her hands.  She told us, through our interpreter, that she could not believe it.  "This cannot be the same child!"  Everyone was shocked that he talks, uses to bathroom instead of a diaper, and that he is such a personable child.  He went around shaking everyone's hands and saying hello.  I think he even said to a couple people, "Nice to meet you."

Then his former foster mother arrived and she had brought her two daughters.  You should have seen the look on her face when she saw him.  He did not seem to remember them at all and I'm afraid that it might have hurt the older girl.  We knew that it broke her heart when he came to live with us.  All of us went upstairs, to the same room where we had his adoption ceremony.  And once again, so many eyes were on our Vlado.  He was adorable and pulled out all the stops showing off.  He pulled out a book and read it to them and then proceeded to write words on a piece of paper (spelling every one correctly by the way!)  His foster mom took video of him so she could show her mother.  We stayed and talked for an hour and a half.

We were able to get email address of both the center and the foster mom.  We also found out that she is on facebook and are going to keep in contact that way.  We love that she can watch Vlado grow up. 

When we went outside, we were able to get some really good pictures of Vlado with his former foster family.  Then we got one of our family and the foster family.  I would share names, but I just don't feel comfortable giving that information.  But just so you can see for yourself, I am posting one picture.


The Lord blessed us with a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment