Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

We met him!

Today was the day. We had the meeting at the ministry first which took longer than it should have. The officials from his town (which is 400km away) were late. They told us about his birth parents and we found out that he doesn't have any full siblings. He has several half siblings on his father's side, but they are all adults. They told us his medical stuff which was pretty typical. He is going to a "special school" which I can only assume means a school for kids with special needs.

Then it was time to go to the orphanage. It was a strange sensation waiting out in the hallway. Since Vlado wasn't in an orphanage when we met him, that was new. They brought him out of his room and he was all smiles. I think he thought it was cool that he got to leave his room during what looked like a rest time.

We went into a little area that was partitioned off. There was a little table and chairs, and a bookshelf with books and some toys. It didn't seem that he was used to being in that area. They gave us a bag that had some games and puzzles that he is familiar with. But he was more interested in the firetruck that we took out of the backpack. He didn't want to share with Daddy but Mama was able to get it from him to show him how to roll it. I made noises of the firetruck but couldn't get him to imitate me but he did laugh. He did not want to look at us much...it's probably safer for his heart to not really look at us. He doesn't really understand the whole thing since he has lived his whole life in this institution. This boys LOVES to be tickled. I was able to get him to look at me as the "tickle monster" was "attacking." He linked his fingers in mine (to pretend to stop me from tickling) and looked into my eyes. I leaned toward him and he came closer to my face and we touched nose to nose for a millisecond. He's a sweetie!

He has dark hair and one of the orphanage workers said he looks like me. Funny since Vlado is Honey's mini me. We only got to spend about 20 minutes with him. We are supposed to go back tomorrow from 9-11 in the morning and will get to meet other officials from the orphanage who give us more information.

We weren't able to get any pictures today. We were actually told that we can't take any pictures until after the adoption ceremony. So you will have to wait a bit for those. It is rainy and cold (for here) outside. I thought the officials were going to have a heart attack that I wasn't wearing a jacket. They don't know me well. Well, I guess I will sign off for now. My brain is full!

4 comments:

  1. Happy that all is going well and that you met your new boy. How did Vlado handle being at the orphanage and meeting his new brother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!! So happy that you met him. Can't wait for more updates!! Happy resting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to all the Breens! I'm so glad that you were able to meet your new son today. Will we be seeing all of you in D.C. this July? Josh wants to see Vlado so badly.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!!! So glad to hear that the first meeting went so well. What did Vlado think? Can't wait to hear more! :)

    ReplyDelete