Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A taste of home (kinda)

After our frustrating day yesterday, I was in desperate need of sugar!  Food (especially sweets) have been a comfort to me for as long as I can remember...and don't bother telling me that it isn't a healthy thing.  I am fully aware of that.  Anyway.....

So, I was dying for something sweet and I had NOTHING here.  We have been slowly clearing out all the food that we've bought since we should be going home soon.  (Oh, how I pray!)  I had a few baking ingredients (because I made banana bread the other day) but not a ton.  The sugar and flour here come in very small bags.  I searched and searched for something I could make that used sugar, flour, oil, eggs, milk, vanilla and baking soda.  Then I thought about the fact that I have very little here as far as baking pans.  So, I was in a mess. 

Then I remembered seeing something on Pinterest.  It was a cake that you mixed up in a coffee cup and baked in the microwave.  I found the recipe and realized it called for baking cocoa powder.  Hmmm, I didn't have any of that.  Then I remembered.....I had packets of hot chocolate mix!!  I mixed it all up but actually baked it in a soup bowl.  I also didn't have any measuring spoons but since the quantities are so small, winging it worked.  There was so much of it that I couldn't eat it all. :)  I was quite pleased with myself.  The funny thing is that there were marshmallows in the hot chocolate mix so they all floated to the top of my batter making it look strange cooked.  But it was delicious!  I might just have to remember the recipe when we get home because I had a homemade cake in less than 10 minutes!  I thought you all might be interested in trying it.  So here you go.

Microwave cake
4 TBS all purpose flour
4 TBS sugar (I reduced it to about 3 TBS because of the hot chocolate mix has sugar)
2 TBS baking cocoa (or 1 packet of hot chocolate mix)
1/4 tsp baking powder (I used baking soda and it still worked)
1 egg
3 TBS milk
3 TBS oil
3 TBS chocolate chips (optional - I didn't have it but didn't miss it)
small splash of vanilla (I used vanilla sugar that I bought here)

Mix all the dry ingredients well in a large coffee mug (like I said, I used a soup bowl).  Add the wet ingredients and mix until combined.  Add the chocolate chips if you are using them.  Put in the microwave and cook on high heat (the recipe says 1000 watts) for 2½ to 3 minutes.  (I pulled mine out at 2 minutes because the batter was more spread out and it was perfect!  The recipe says you can drizzle with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.  I used a caramel flavored ice cream topping and it was FANTASTIC!!) 

This is 2 servings but I'm sure I could have eaten it all if I really tried. :)  Enjoy!!

I know it doesn't look that good.  And I had already eaten what I wanted before I thought to take the picture.  It is a nice fluffy sponge cake consistency and it is super easy! 



1 comment:

  1. Brave girl you were!!! We could hardly cook in the apartments we stayed in! But my hubby could make killer grilled cheese! That's about all we ate the last time we were there! :) Have you tried the ice cream? Now that is worth eating every day!! :)

    ReplyDelete