Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Surgery day

I was really nervous for today.  When I first took Fuad to the urologist, I was told that his surgery, since it wasn't an emergency, would  probably not be scheduled until late September.  Two weeks ago, they called to let us know that it had been scheduled...for July 25th.  And that day is today.  He was having a two part surgery involving his, um, little boy parts.

The hospital arranged for a translator to be there and she was really good with him.  He didn't seem to respond to her nearly as well as he did the nurse who spoke Serbian to him last week, but it was still nice to have her there.  I'm not sure that he understood much of what she told him about the procedure, but once again, it was nice that the hospital arranged to have her there.

He was not nervous at all before the surgery. In fact, he buzzed around the pre-op area playing with the toys and making everyone fall in love with him.  I went with him to the OR and they had me hold him while they did the initial anesthesia.  I had tears in my eyes as I put him down and walked out of the room.  Now, I am no stranger to operating rooms.  The difference is that I am usually the one on the table.  The first time that you hand your child over to a surgeon, even with a not terribly complicated surgery, it sucks!

The hour and a half that it took for his procedures went rather quickly.  I am happy that I brought my crochet with me....it makes time FLY!  When I finally got to go back, the translator went with me.  She was more  upset that I was.  I am one of those people that can stay pretty calm during a situation...it's after that I get upset.  (like being fine while holding Fuad as he went to sleep but being teary after)  Our translator, however, was so upset, and he wasn't even awake yet.  As he started waking up, he began the saddest whimpering.  A dose of tylenol with codeine and some apple juice later, he seemed ok.  He kept trying to touch the area of the surgery and I was told to keep him from touching it.  That made  him SO ANGRY!  His whimpering turned to full out cries and even a scream or two.  The nurse ended up giving him a couple doses of fentanyl and soon he was quite dopey.  It didn't take long, though, for him to get worked up again about not being allowed to inspect his body.  He continued to get more and more upset.  It was time for him to be discharged and we were just waiting for Honey to get there (he had been at home with Vlado) and he was letting everyone know how displeased he was.  As soon as he climbed in the little red wagon, his cries subsided.  We got outside and even the whimpering stopped.

He didn't seem happy in the car.  He got sick on the way home, but I don't know if it was from the codeine or anesthesia.  But after he got sick, he seemed to be a little better.  Getting home seemed to be just the thing he needed.  I made him a piece of toast and he laid in my lap on the couch nibbling away at his meager dinner.  He got up after he finished and went to the bathroom....and peed.  Now, we were told that he would probably be very afraid of going to the bathroom and we might have to put him in the bath to get him to go.  Well, he proved how tough he is.  Over the next couple hours, he snuggled in my lap looking at a magazine.  Every 10-15 minutes, he would clamber up and pull his shorts down to inspect himself.  It was quite funny actually.  He didn't touch it too much or try to take his dressing off.  He just wanted to see.  Now, he had not had any more pain medication since the fentanyl.  I believe he puked up all the tylenol.  But he was comfortable enough to continually whip down his shorts and whip them back up.  I think some of his crying and stuff at the hospital was because he just wanted to check out what was going on "down there" and wasn't being permitted to even look.

At bedtime, he took his shorts off and put on a pull up like he normally does.  He went to Honey and whispered, "Nite nite, Daddy. I love you."  We have been working on him projecting his voice but whenever we say "louder" he just repeats that word instead of speaking louder.  Tonight, Honey said, "louder" and Fuad said, "NITE NITE DADDY. I LOVE YOU!"  Our little boy has amazed us tonight.  I'm so thankful that God took care of our little boy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Fuad! Glad it went better than expected!

    Also, what is it with your boys and their junk?

    I can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete