When I got home, I was happy to find many bags of cheeze-itz, mini oreos, granola bars, goldfish, etc. But, when I got to the bottom, I realized that about 1/3 of the box was corn nuts. I have NEVER had a corn nut in my life so Vlado and I split a bag. It was awful....even Vlado turned his nose up at them. So, the bags have sat in my pantry....I HATE to throw away food because I can usually figure out something to do with it.
Today, as I was browsing Pinterest, I saw someone had posted about doing mini corn dogs using corn muffin mix and cut up hot dogs. I decided to attempt to use a bag of corn nuts. I'm sure you're confused at this point. I looked up a recipe for corn muffins. I took a bag of the corn nuts and ground them down in my Magic Bullet blender. This is what I used in place of the corn meal in the recipe. My boys both love mini muffins so I used my mini muffin pan. I cut up the hot dogs (6 pieces per hot dog) and put one piece per muffin cup. Here's the recipe I used.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal (ground corn nuts)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, butter, and egg; mix well. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pans 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan.
The boys LOVED them!